Monday, July 14, 2008

Hair on the floor...


Lyndsays home and I am loving it... I really did miss her, and this seems like the last trip that she will make that will last this long. Once she starts her career, she will be committed to a full time work schedule, and will assume the responsibility and pressure of carrying her own health insurance (she is dropped off of ours since she graduated), bills, rent, groceries,etc. She actually has been responsible of everything on the list beyond the health insurance since she moved away. She is a very responsible independent person, and I admire that. I mention it because I feel like once she starts working in her career, she will be limited to that one or two weeks a year vacation that most Americans are limited to , and sometimes can not even enjoy.Well, that's a long lead in to this blog...
Since she has been home, our dining room has been transformed into a salon. As some of you know we recently remodeled our dining room, and our old home doesn't have many rooms that are 100% remodeled. Being a tiny bit anal, the first day I saw the hair dye come out in that room, I panicked inside. I thought "Great! now this room will have dye staining the floor, and it will be a mess!" I wanted her to express her creativity and talent, yet I was so worried about the room, that I kept following her around with a spray bottle of bleach, and a broom, then something amazing happened. I sat down for a minute and observed the community feeling that was beginning to develop. People were pulling in and out of the driveway and gathering around my table for more than food. Conversations were developing and strangers were being introduced to each other, people were gathering that were not even getting a hair service done. Many emotions are evoked when one allows someone to cut or dye their hair; venerability, bravery, freedom, fear, anger, hope for a change, separation anxiety (from the lost hair!) ,change, confusion, indecisiveness, regret, amusement, excitment, happieness, the list could go on. Being in an enviroment where those emotions are flying around the room, and seeing transformation happen in a matter of an hour or two is very symbolic , and interesting. I keep wondering how I can create an environment that can continue to have the same type of gathering and conversation continue...
So , all the hair and dye on the floor seems to be worth the small , and more than likely temporary community that was formed this last month. It will be a bit sad to see it end.

7 comments:

*Austin Mommy* said...

Nice to read your latest post...I've been checking daily! It's awesome that Lyndsey is home with you guys for awhile. She seems like quite a sweetheart. I'm also thinking it's gonna be time soon for me to join in on that change-my-hair-now-please community. I need something done! Thanks for sharing your home - with us, with other friends, and with your daughters newest clients. You are fabulous! (I missed you yesterday in church!)

Chel said...

I missed all of you too, had to work.
She is here until the 26th, so make your "appointment " soon! HAHA!

Birdie said...

Chel,
I'm so happy to read about the new (and some old) stirrings that God is doing. I look forward to reading more. I'm excited for you and knowing how extraordinary you are, there are so amazing things ahead for you! Woo Hoo!!! Love you, Carla

Dave and Betsy's Blog said...

I miss my glow-in-the-dark hair. Bummer it had to go, but a good excuse to come hang out with you guys again.
-Dave

Dave and Betsy's Blog said...

Lyndsey freakin' rocks!!! We love you and your family! Thanks for writing here! I'm excited to see what comes out! Au Revoir mon amie!! :)

Sam said...

Great thoughts, Chel. Thanks for allowing those things to happen in your home. What a great thing it will be 10 years from now to look at that dye-stained floor and remember the love and community present in that place at that time. Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.